Eurosprinkler, la asociación europea de fabricantes de rociadores automáticos, de la que TECNIFUEGO-AESPI forma parte, ha realizado un resumen de incidentes de incendio, donde la instalación de rociadores automáticos ha protegido de sus nefastas consecuencias. A continuación el resumen completo.
At 10:22 on 28 December 2015, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire at a well-known retail store within a large shopping mall in Paisley. Three pumps and an aerial ladder went to the three-storey, 90M x 40M building where a fire had occurred in a ceiling-mounted light in the first floor staff area. Upon arrival it was found that one pendant sprinkler head had operated and extinguished the fire. The sprinkler system is fed by the town's mains and a pressure of 8 bar was recorded at the control valve. No other fire-fighting action was required. None of the 600 people in the premises at the time were hurt. The fire caused what is described as 'minimal' business interruption, estimated to have been 8 hours.
At 08:15 on Monday 28 December, Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in the historic covered market in Oxford. Upon arrival crews were met by an Oxford City Council Manager and a Sprinkler Engineer, who had been called due to the activation of the sprinkler system. The fire had been extinguished by the operation of a single sprinkler head. It probably started in a domestic fridge which had been completely destroyed by fire.
London Fire Brigade reports that on 23 December at about 19:00 crews from Tower Hamlets were called to a fire within a commercial industrial unit of one floor and mezzanine, 50 metres by 35 metres. The company which owns the building produces rags from recycled linen. The room of fire origin contained up to 60 tonnes of packed linen bales stored several metres high. On arrival crews found that the sprinkler system had activated and was containing the fire.
At just before 06:00 on 8 December, the fire detection system was triggered in ‘Love Coffee’, a ground floor unit in the two storey Harpur Shopping Centre in Bedford. A fire had occurred in a commercial dishwasher and soon after one sprinkler head operated to control the fire. Fire damage was confined to the dishwasher and the centre was able to open the same day.
On 3 December large bales of cotton are believed to have been deliberately set on fire at a textile mill in Bury. The fire on the first floor of a two-storey building at Andrew Textile Industries activated the sprinkler system, which alerted the emergency services. Workers were alerted to the fire by water coming through the ceiling – they went up to the first floor to investigate and were beaten back by heavy smoke but no one was injured. Investigators say the sprinklers saved the building from serious damage. Watch manager Gary Stredder of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are looking at this being a deliberately started fire, possibly started in three different places. The sprinklers did their job and suppressed the fire – without them the fire would have broken through the roof and we would have been dealing with a very serious incident. The fire is subject to a joint investigation by GMFRS and Greater Manchester Police.
At 00:36 on 3 December, crews from Manchester Central Fire Station attended a call to a fire alarm at premises in a shopping area in Manchester city centre. The shop was a high end clothing store occupying the ground and first floor; the fire had started in a faulty light fitting which was concealed behind a section of display boarding. The building was protected by a sprinkler system which activated and extinguished the fire prior to the arrival of the fire service.
Thanks to a sprinkler system an elderly man had a lucky escape from a fire caused by a cigarette in his flat. Fire-fighters from Sutton and New Maldon in London were called to a fire at a residential care home in Mickleham Gardens in Cheam at 23:12 on 21 November. The fire was out at 23:47.
Fortunately the man had already escaped the flat and his sprinkler system had put out most of the flames. He was treated for shock at the scene and taken to hospital as a precaution. Sutton fire station manager Richard Field said: "This close call shows just how vital sprinklers are in care homes and sheltered accommodation – they not only stop fires from spreading, they save lives.”